Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Reigning in the puppies

Wow! Two days in a row posting blogs. Maybe there is hope.

Here's a copy of a part of the transcript from yesterday's blog. Great stuff on taking every thought captive.

"If you've ever had a little puppy in your home, it's almost a full-time job following that thing around so it doesn't mess up on the floor. And so I was watching this path that my thoughts took. It was just like -- and I'm not kidding you -- it was just like that puppy. I would rein it in and rein it in, and when I started to really pay close attention, they shocked me how often I went to thinking and, to tell you the honest truth, I had a girlfriend call and say, "Hey, do you want to have lunch?" and I said, "I can't. I've got to watch my mind." She said, "What?" I said, "No, my puppy, I've got to watch my puppy," but I meant my mind because it truly was like a full-time job reining it back in because I had really let those thoughts run wild. And so by reining them in and putting strict boundaries around where I'd let my thoughts go brought health to my soul." [transcript of interview with Susie Larson on Family Life Today]

One of the ways I have found helpful in 'reigning in the puppies' is to ask, "Lord, what do you want to teach me in this situation about how to trust you more and learn about how you want to pour greater Christlikeness into my life?"

Another great day!

No comments: