Sunday, April 12, 2009

Health and Surgery Update

Preoperative testing went well at Jefferson Neurological Hospital last Friday, giving me a green light for surgery on Tuesday, April 14. Time is still to be determined but probably in the a.m. Doing the sugery at JHN should mean that the process will go smoothly. I am hoping that I could be home even as soon as Thursday, April 16, or certainly by Friday, April 17. I am actually looking forward to getting to this surgery so that I can then get into recovery. As before, my daughter Kristin will keep the blog updated

We have a good list of follow-up protocols that we will be working out with my neurosurgeon to determine the best follow-up on surgery. One of the interesting preoperative needs is to gain weight. I wish I could trade this with others. I am making progress, however. I actually need more protein and fat to ensure I have some good reserves for surgery and afterward.

In addition to the weight gain need, I have the challenge of my high viral load that was revealed in my Epstein Barr test which means I have an on-going tiredness like mononucleosis. My high dose vitamin-C infusions seem to be going a long way to attacking this viral infection. We will continue to monitor.

I am grateful that God gave me the necessary strength yesterday to perform the wedding for Brad Ludwick and Dawn Owen. It was a special occasion to share in this with them and others who joined us.

1 comment:

Dad & Mom said...

Hi Joel & Dottie,
Just wanted to let you know that we have been praying and keeping updated with your blog but until today have not been able to leave a comment. Tom and I are back in the U.S. and getting adjusted. Checked your blog when in the D.R. and am encouraged by your progress. Will be praying along with hundreds others tomorrow. Hope to see you soon.
Love, Tom and Barb