Thursday, June 25, 2009

side effects

I am 50% completed in my radiation therapy (30 treatments, scheduled to be completed on July 14. So far side effects have been minimal: tiredness, slight radiation burning on the right side of the scalp. Tiredness is the biggest side effect. I have a new appreciation for those undergoing similar treatment and want to give up. Constant tiredness is a big factor in wanting to give up. I get tired of being tired. One of my docs thinks I am exhibiting a great deal of fortitude. my sister says it is a MacDonald trait. I think it is the result of so many people praying. I have less than zero appetite, although my weight is staying up but meals are a major effort. I wish I could package my appetitie issue for those of you who would like that problem. Today is another treatment day and in spite of my tired feeling, I am determined to do my pre-treatment brisk walk (1 block inside the main Jefferson hospital betwen 10th and 11th street and then up a flight of steps, two-at-a-time, 4 laps. This helps oxygenate my blood in prep for radiation at the Bodine Cancer center, next door. I am always glad to be home so I can hit the couch. Thanks so much for praying.
t

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear that your treatments are going well. be patient, the tiredness and lack of appetite are part of the road to recovery.

also, congratulations on the marriage of your son glad to see that you were able to be a part of this very special day. the young couple looks amazing and very blissful. if you feel up to it please post a family picture we hear so much about how wonderful they are, we would love to see them
happy and celebrating this special day. may God bless all