Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me . . .

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

Dad met with his oncologist, Dr. Glass, today with my sister, Kara. Dr. Glass said that Dad's physical symptoms indicate that the Avastin chemo is no longer working. He gives Dad about 3 to 4 months.

Please pray for our family as we process this news. I think we knew it was coming but it's still very hard to hear. Pray especially for Dad who deeply longs for his wife to be home with him. Pray for healing for my mom so that will be possible.

Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise
And when the darkness closes in Lord still I will say:
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name
You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say:
Blessed be your name.

5 comments:

Mashakatya said...

Kristin,

I didn't realize there was this blog with updates until you posted this link... I am sorry for the heavy news you all have to bear. =/ Praying for both of your parents and all the "kids." ~mk

Nancy Tyler said...

You're all constantly on my mind and in my prayers. I don't understand God's wisdom or will at times like this, but I trust Him. And I'm asking Him to let each of you sense His love.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joel: I write from Kuwait where I still get to keep up on some of the news from home. I have always thought a great deal of you and enjoyed seeing you from time to time at our CB meetings. Our connections through my Dad and my roots at a CB church in South Jersey have kept us in the harvest together, but apart. The words of this song (quoted in your blog today) were given by my son, Jonathan, to one of his friends on her blog when she lost two of her close friends, and later it was posted back to him in his own circumstances. It took a long while where I could sing this song without crying, even though I believed it in my heart. I don't know why God chooses to "give and take away," but I do know that over time we can still come to place of saying "Blessed Be Your Name." I don't know if I will ever understand our trials here, but by the time we reach Heaven, it probably won't matter anymore. One of my favorite verses is the basis for a song by Christian singer Ray Hildebrand which only some of us are old enough to remember sourced on Romans 14:8 - "If I live, well, praise the Lord; if I die, well, praise the Lord, if I live or die my only cry will be 'Jesus in me, Praise the Lord.'" May God extend your time here miraculously, but if not, may you finish well in His mighty hands. Love, from a fellow pastor friend in the harvest. CH Gary Taylor

Jim Bull said...

Joel: I've been out of the loop, and was unaware of the challenge you've been facing. I've always appreciated your self discipline, example, and even-keeled approach to life and ministry.
Now, I imagine, you are considering the reality of experiencing the Lord's presence, as over against the harsh reality of leaving all those that you love here. May His grace be evident in each step of the way.
I also remember the smile on your face as you snapped on your skis at the top of Mt. Hood, and left the rest of us to trudge down. You planned well for the last part of that trip. And if I know you, Joel, you've planned well for the last part of your trip here.
May the Lord strengthen you and your family as you walk through such a challenge.

Jim Bull
Palmcroft Baptist Church
Phoenix, AZ

cheeringUon said...

Praying for you all, especially for Dottie to be able to come home soon. Hopefully others will be there by then to help bear the load.