Friday, July 03, 2009

Relentless growth


A full night’s sleep is still missing but I am thankful for my iPod and some great teaching by Ken Boa [www.kenboa.org]. I must have hundreds of hours of him loaded on my iPod and with my portable speakers, it has been some of my best encouragement through the nights. Dottie and I have been currently listening to his series on the letter to the Colossians. This is so much better than turning on the radio. We have been working on managing a healthy thought life during these challenging times. A book loaned to us by Caroline Leaf, Who Switched Off My Brain [Amazon],[www.drleaf.net] has been very helpful. A simple version of what she is saying can be found in Romans 12:2. It is amazing how much of the health of our life is impacted by unhealthy thinking. She cites as much as 87%. So turn off the TV news, delay the newspaper until you get some refreshing news from God’s Word and allow Him to set His agenda for your day, your thoughts, your relationships, and all that comes with living out His joy in life. Tough times are nothing for a great God!
Finally, when the night was just about over, Ken Boa was done, I put on Dennis Rainey from Family Life Today. He has a great message of encouragement for us during this difficult times. It is a broadcast from 2008 but in essence encourages us to stop listening to the negative news and look for our hope in God. I highly recommend limiting listening to the news and focus on God’s hope and truth.

Growth in life seems to be relentless these days. Just when I think enough is enough, God opens up another area to address. I need to stay focused on the fact that He is doing His perfect work and continue to trust Him, lean on Him, and allow Him to do His perfect work.

being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)

No comments: