Thursday, July 02, 2009

A Theology of Suffering

I highly recommend checking out the chapel message by, Joni Ericsson Tada at Dallas Seminary chapel, Feb. 11, 2009. She is a remarkable woman and has been a phenomenal example of how to accept God's call on your life even through extreme suffering. Her ministry to the disabled is worth noting. She is linking with DTS on a fall course on "A Theology of Suffering." I cried.

I have a deeper appreciation for the process of suffering and marvel at Jone's testimony. She has a lot to say to us. I would not wish the last ten months on anyone but also would not trade some of the deep and abiding lessons learned and still being learned. Some of the best as come through some of the greatest pain.

But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth."[e] When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. (1 Peter 2:20-25)

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33).

Join with me in traveling today with the One who has overcome the world.

2 comments:

Eric Shrift said...

Donna and I truly treasure our brief visit with you and Dottie in May and we hope to be able to do it again soon. We have been following your blogs regularly since hearing of your diagnosis while we were in Brazil. Earlier in the week while I was praying for your situation, the Spirit prompted me with a verse that has caused me some reflection, and I trust may be a comfort to you: Malachi 4:6 - He (Christ) will restore the hearts of the fathers to (their or the) children...
I am blessed by what I see as increasing Godly childlikeness in your blogs :-)

Anonymous said...

i watched the video. what an amazing testimony. thank you for recommending it.