Saturday, February 27, 2010

No appetite and long distance running

I just finished lunch. This is an especially difficult event for me since I usually have either low appetite or mostly no appetite. Today I implimented two thought processes. The first is Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength. This verse won’t empower me to leap over a ten-story building in a single bound but it will give me the necessary strength to do the will of God. I prayed this verse back to God, “God, I draw upon your indwelling strength to get me through this meal.”
    The second mental process was to remember my college long distance running days at Oregon State University. One frequent route was the “Black Route.”  The Black Route was 6 miles out into the McDonald Forest, then 6 miles up a steady incline on an old loging road, then 6 miles down the back side, and then 6 miles back to the OSU campus. This was in the afternoon, usually after a 6 mile run in the am (5am). Running these distances took a mental enduring focus and keeping pace with one foot after another. Applying this mental attitude to eating (one bite after another) has helped me get through a meal. God is so good to give us just what He knows we need. Thank you for praying for us.

No comments: