Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A long obedience in the same direction

A Long Obedience in the Same Direction; Discipleship in an Instant Society is a book by Eugene Peterson that describes the challenge that I face almost every day. If I believe that God has a call on my life, and I do, then I am under obligation to honor God in every circumstance, situation, speech, thought, temptation, and action. I also believe that I have a responsibility to my blog readers to evidence the real life application of faith through pain and suffering. Just when I think I have conquered a situation, another one shows up right around the corner. This repeated challenge, victory, etc. gets tiring. Weariness wears down my will power and I want to give up. Here are two passages from God’s Word that have helped. The first is from the author of the letter to the Hebrews:

(Hebrews 12:1-3)  Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. {2} Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. {3} Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

The second is from Paul to the church at Galatia:
(Galatians 6:9)  Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

In addition to God’s Word and His Spirit, God’s people have also been strategically encouraging. I can’t thank you enough, Mark, for your intervention, intercession and encouragement. You are a true and faithful friend. I love you deeply my dear friend.

No comments: