Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day of Discomfort and Medical Decisions

Today I canceled my Vitamin C infusion appointment in Marlton, NJ because of the extreme discomfort I was experiencing, an Avastin chemotherapy side efect. I am substituting Lypospheric Vitamin C, a jel substance from LiveOn Labs. They claim it has a similar absorbtion to infusion. I have not verified this claim.
   With these side effects we face a difficult medical decision. How long do I go with the side effects (dropping hemoglobin count, high load of yeast infection, my constant tiredness) before the side effects take me out. I have already discussed stopping chemo with my oncologist. He, obsiouly in not in favor because he believes the tumor would react and grow. In my simplification of what he is saying, I liken my situation to being in a fighting ring. I am 5'8" and my opponent is 6'8", but I have a partner (my other medical partners). If I stop the Avastin, it is like stopping punching my big oppoent and he can recover and possibly come back stronger than ever and posibly deliver a knock out blow. There is Someone else in the ring with me, invisible to all, but I know He is there. However, He has not revealed His punching strategy or how He plans to fight but I trust Him for whatever outcome.
  Pray for our dependance on Him and wisdom in decision-making. Tiredness still is a challenging factor, but thank God for His Word, my sustaining grace, my truth and reality, in which I choose to live.

Thank God for a phenomenal wife, the encourager of my soul, one who lifts my spirit, joins me in crying out to God.
                   
(Psalms 121:1-7)  A song of ascents. I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? {2} My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. {3} He will not let your foot slip-- he who watches over you will not slumber; {4} indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. {5} The LORD watches over you-- the LORD is your shade at your right hand; {6} the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. {7} The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life;

1 comment:

cheeringUon said...

Since you two make a team pressing on to the finish line, it just seems it would be very good to hear from Dottie along in here from time to time.