Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I hope you Dads out there are having a blessed Father's Day. Today I am remembering that I am the blessed Dad of four wonderful children, Kristin, Kara, Brian, and Bethany. This AM I was surprised and overwhelmed by my son Brian's words in our church's AM service. I include them with the thoughts that there are many other Dads who this could also apply to. I was overwhelmed.


Here are his words: " A Father's Day Letter: Good morning. Mark (our preaching pastor) called me the other night and asked me if I'd be willing to say a few words honoring my Dad on Father's Day. of course I jumped at the chance     because I will feel like I owe him for all those stories he got to tell about me over the years from the pulpit. I know many of us come from families where we might have had great Dads but my heart also goes out to those of us who might not have had great fathers, or possibly didn't have any father in their lives at all. So as I read this I hope it will remind you  of the good things about your fathers, or if not, I hope it will encourage you to be a better father yourself. Ultimately, each of us can be thankful on this Father's Day, for our Heavenly Father who shows us what true fatherhood is all about.

   To My Dad: Ephesians 6:2 says: honor your Father and Mother" Today I am here to do just that for a man many of you know simply as "Pastor". I have the privilege of  calling him Dad. Growing up I wasn't always happy I had a father who was also a pastor. I remember on one occasion complaining that it just wasn't fair that people had high expectations for me because of who my Dad was. Over the years I've grown to understand just how good God was to place the man I call Dad in my life. In an age where fatherhood is more often marked by absence, distance and apathy; God in His goodness and grace gave me a Dad who modeled what it means to be a father, a husband and a man after God's own heart. Perhaps the highest compliment I can pay my Dad is that I see my heavenly Father in him, day in and day out, For that, I will always be grateful. The French philosopher Bernard of Chartres puts words to feelings when he said, "we are like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants, so that we can see more than they, and things at a greater distance, not by virtue of any sharpness of sight on our part, or any physical distinction, but because we are carried high and raised up by their giant size.

    You are a giant in my life, Dad. Over the years you've instructed me as a father, modeled selflessness as a husband and demonstrated the leadership it takes to be a man, the man I hope to become is the father you were for me. As I continue to trust in God's loving and perfect plan for your life, I know our Heavenly Father will continue to carry you and lift you up because that's what you've done for me. I love you Dad.


As you can imagine, the tears flowed as I was overwhelmed with these words. and   of course my tears flowed readily. I am thinking that there are many dads out there who deserve to hear these words. Today, I am  blessed to be a Dad and I have four children, two sons-in-love, a daughter-in-love, and four grandchildren who give me great reasons for living. Today is a Great Day! I hope yours is also.

1 comment:

kdelmul said...

Dad, I completely agree with all of Brian comments. I wish I was as eloquent as him. You are deeply loved!